Wärtsilä, a global leader in complete lifecycle power solutions for the marine and energy markets, inaugurates its new spare parts distribution centre in Kampen, the Netherlands, on Monday 7 November 2011. The Central Distribution Centre is to be inaugurated by Wärtsilä's President & CEO Björn Rosengren together with Bort Koelewijn, the Mayor of Kampen.
The Central Distribution Centre is the core of Wärtsilä Global Logistics Services, and integrates eight previously localized spare parts warehouses into one global supply chain operation. It covers the entire material flow from order confirmation until the point of delivery at the customer's doorstep. The new centre will shorten transportation distances, reduce spare parts traffic between warehouses, and improve management of the entire supply chain. Wärtsilä's global service network continues to serve the customers with a full range of services and repairs.
"The new centre will deliver spare parts to customers and Wärtsilä's 160 service locations around the globe. By using one global logistics centre, and through the creation of a highly efficient logistics flow, Wärtsilä is better positioned to serve its customers and suppliers. Consolidating logistics and warehousing will result in faster and more efficient spare parts deliveries, 24 hours a day 7 days a week," says Christoph Vitzthum, Group Vice President, Wärtsilä Services.
The new distribution centre began operations in December 2010 and will be fully operational before the end of this year. The facilities cover an area of 37,000 m2. Wärtsilä's total investment in the new distribution centre has been approximately EUR 70 million. When in full operation there will be approximately 140 people working there.
The Central Distribution Centre has been designed and implemented by Swisslog, a logistics solutions provider. CEVA Logistics, a supply chain management company, is responsible for the shipments and operational warehouse handling.
Services is one of the three Wärtsilä's businesses alongside Ship Power and Power Plants. Wärtsilä Services offers services to both the global marine and energy markets and operates the most extensive service network in the industry. The company's extensive portfolio of services includes spare parts and field services, as well as the servicing of engines, propulsion systems, electrical and automation systems, and boilers. It also covers environmental services and solutions, upgrades and conversions, long-term agreements for engine and propulsion systems, as well as training services. Wärtsilä's Services business is also in the forefront in developing new service concepts to meet customer needs for optimal operational efficiency. Wärtsilä Services operates some 70 fully owned workshops and employs over 11,000 services professionals.
Wärtsilä in the Netherlands
Wärtsilä has all its three business units Ship Power, Power Plants and Services as well as Research and Development represented in the Netherlands. It has more than 1000 employees in seven locations in Drunen, Schiedam, Harlingen, Kruiningen, Kampen, Waalwijk and Zwolle.
For more information, please contact
Vice President, Wärtsilä Global Logistics Services
Tel. +41 52 2622690
Senior Manager, Media and Stakeholder Relations
Tel. +358 (0)400 267 555
· Links to pictures from the inauguration will be available in this press release at www.wartsila.com soon.
Fact sheet of Central Distribution Centre
· Built-up area of 37,000 m2 with possibility to expand
· Total investment approximately EUR 70 million
· Warehouse for all parts from very small to extremely large, including engine parts of over 50,000 kg
· Partly automatic and partly manually operated
· Over 60,000 pallet locations and over 60,000 totes in mini-load
· Wärtsilä has its own quay at Zuiderzeehaven, with sea transport possibilities
· Adjacent to N50 highway and the river Ijssel, for waterway transport option
· Good logistics connections to Rotterdam, Hamburg and to Schiphol (Amsterdam) airport
· Location will reduce emissions from transportation
Links to previous press releases of the subject:
- 9 September 2009: Construction of Wärtsilä's new central distribution centre officially begins in the Netherlands
- 31 March 2009: Wärtsilä and CEVA Logistics expand their cooperation
- 13 March 2009: Wärtsilä signs contract with Swisslog for design and construction of Central Distribution Centre in the Netherlands
- 30 October 2008: Wärtsilä's logistics partner CEVA wins environmental award for redesigning Wärtsilä's parts transportation system
- 1 September 2008: Wärtsilä chooses CEVA Logistics to run its global spare parts transportation services
- 29 May 2008: Wärtsilä to centralise warehousing and logistics of spare parts
Wärtsilä in brief
Wärtsilä is a global leader in complete lifecycle power solutions for the marine and energy markets. By emphasising technological innovation and total efficiency, Wärtsilä maximises the environmental and economic performance of the vessels and power plants of its customers. In 2010, Wärtsilä's net sales totalled EUR 4.6 billion with more than 17,500 employees. The company has operations in 160 locations in 70 countries around the world. Wärtsilä is listed on the NASDAQ OMX Helsinki, Finland.